I have been using Choosy for a very long time (a quick search through my email revealed that I started using the beta in 2008 and bought my license in 2009).
Today I discovered a way of using Choosy to pop up a selector for any file type.
Some time ago I added a rule to Choosy that gave me the option to edit a local
.html file using Sublime Text in addition to selecting a web browser to open it in.
Here is how to do it:
- Create an alias of
~/Library/PreferencePanes/Choosy.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Choosy.app(if you have installed Choosy all users remove the initial
~) and put it in your
- Create a rule in Choosy in the advanced tab
- Set the rule trigger to require that all the following conditions are true:
Web address begins with file://
Web address ends with <file extension>(replace
<file extension>with the file extension of your choosing, e.g.
- Set the action to be “Promt to select from these browsers…”
- Select the applications you want to be able to choose from (they need not be browsers).
- In Finder right click a file that has the extension you just created a rule for, choose
Get Infoand change the
Open withapplication to the
Choosy.appalias you added to your
- Click “
Change All...” so that all files with that extension are affected.
Thats it! Now when you click a file with that extension, it will open in Choosy, which in turn will show you the app selection popup. Below is a screenshot of my PDF rule: