Every time I need to upgrade my iPhone (i.e. when a new firmware has been released and there exist a jailbreak for it) I forget the exact procedure and I have to do a bit of thinking before I can start. This time, I’ll write it down and post it to the cloud.
- Sync and backup iPhone to iTunes
- Remove iPhone from computer
- Do another sync with iTunes (as stuff may be transferred to and from the iPhone after the first backup: iTunes does backup, then sync. Not the other way around).
- Use Pkgbackup to backup Cydia packages and settings.
- Restore iPhone from new firmware.
- Restore iPhone from old backup
- Install Pkgbackup and restore your Cydia packages and settings.
- If you are lucky, you are now done.
- If you are unlucky and the new firmware breaks some of you Cydia packages, the best thing is to start from 5 and then manually install Cydia packages as you feel the need to.